Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pohutukawa

The first pohutukawa started flowering around the city a couple of weeks ago. Along the coast, they are a little slower, and out on the west coast, are still forming buds.
My heart sings when I gaze into these blossoms. They are so generous, such a happy, soft spiky presence! And each stamen is dotted with bright yellow pollen, just waiting for the bees to come and dust themselves as they gather the nectar.
If I were a bee, I'd spend all afternoon rolling around in these welcoming flowers.

2 comments:

Marilyn & Jeff said...

Right now the pohutukawa trees are looking just glorious. Your photos are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a lovely flower this is on these trees. They look so exotic to a native of the midwestern states. I can just imagine the frolic and activity of the bees.

I enjoyed your trees and Whitman quote in your other post as well, Juliet. Just doing a little catching up today on blogs.