Sunday, December 5, 2010

Summer beach play

The day began with the morning light making magical patterns on my bedroom wall. The afternoon ended on the beach with Mira. I made a sandcastle while she dug in the sand with a garden trowel I brought along (though later she decided a teaspoon was more fun). As I gathered weed and shells to decorate the sandcastle I was carried back to one I made as a child. I won the prize for the best sandcastle at the Sunday School picnic, and was thrilled. As I watched Mira's intense absorption in digging and gathering I felt there was little difference between us. As soon as I'm playing with sand, I'm a little child once more, lost in time. How strange it is, ageing on the outside yet remaining fresh on the inside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, Juliet.
I love the thought of "ageing on the outside yet remaining fresh on the inside". Today's, the 5th, is my birthday and that is exactly how I feel and shall carry that thought with me all the day long.

Juliet said...

Happy birthday Penny, and may you remain forever fresh!

Unknown said...

You make me want to go dig my toes into some sand somewhere. my childhood too, at the little beach we called it, Matakawau. pods from mangroves, popping seaweed, pohutukawa red on the sand.. 'heaven enou' for me' ..

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I love this post about play ...the play of light and shade on your wall and play with your granddaughter on the beach.
Inside each of us is our younger self and the thrill of playing on the beach is never forgotten.