Sunday, January 16, 2011

New order

Can what is broken ever be mended?

I mused on this as I played in the sand. I thought of the devastating floods in Australia, and the many homes and towns which will never be the same. I remembered the times in my life where new order emerged out of the chaos of loss.
The beach was littered with broken scallop shells, and each wave delivered some more. As I gathered them up, my impulse was to put the pieces back together again, and make a whole scallop. But in this particular jigsaw, most of the pieces were missing. So I made a new form, out of the broken bits.

Then I made a sandcastle, which had a gash in one side. The perfectionist in me wanted to start again, and try and get it right. It took the comment of a little child to help me see the beauty in imperfection. Mira took one look at the 'gash', and said, 'moon!' in a tone of wonder.

And so, for all those whose lives have turned to flotsam and jetsam, I offer imperfect images of hope: a moon and a new shape created from broken scallops.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love it, beautiful Juliet! Ksenija

Juliet said...

Thank you Ksenija; I appreciate you taking the trouble to comment, and for signing your name!

Anonymous said...

That's lovely, Juliet. Often new shapes out of those broken end up being stronger. Still, hopes and prayers go out to all those devastated by the floods.

Juliet said...

That's so true Penny; thank you for your wise observation.

Unknown said...

So lovely Juliet. Wisdom is bought at a desolate market where nobody goes to buy. Who said that? It just came to me now thinking of those in the midst of desolation. Your post is marvellous

Juliet said...

What a great quote, Joan. Thank you.

Anne Ruffell said...

What a wonderfully perceptive observation for Mira to make. It is astonishing how the young make the connection of the shape between two such differing subjects. I love hearing Mira's comments.

I think the answer to your question at the start of this entry is answered by your picture - out of the chaos of broken pieces you have made something harmonious even though it is not whole.

Juliet said...

Thank you Anne; I like that thought.