Saturday, January 22, 2011

Timeless

There's nothing like wandering up and down a sandy stream for entering a timeless world. I feel like a child myself as I follow Mira and her boat. I am filled with the lazy contentment of summer.

Yet there is time in this picture too, for three generations are present in it. The little barge belonged to my son, Mira's father. Nearly forty years ago I wandered down the same stream with him as he eased the boat into the current and it bobbed through the water. The boat was made by my father especially for him. My father is long dead now, but he would love to know that even though the original tug boat has been lost with the years, the barge remains and continues to give pleasure. A grandfather's love is transmitted through time, to a new generation.

No comments: