Monday, February 21, 2011

Summer's end (2)

As summer draws to a close, I reflect on how different plants age.
Some turn scruffy and straggly, and succumb to mould as they pass their greening time. They look rather sad. This is how the tomatoes and courgettes are: utterly spent.
Then there is the beauty of the full pod, like the one on this flax plant, which is ripening hundreds of little black seeds that will fall like gleaming rain on the ground beneath in late autumn.
Other plants gather their energies into a final flare, like the karamu berries that were golden yellow a couple of weeks ago and now have turned bright red; or the russet of bracken; and the flame-like fronds of the kiokio ferns that fringe the shady bush paths.


I reflect also on the many ways that people have of ageing, and give thanks for those full pods that have showered their loving wisdom over me when I was much younger and thought that every season would last forever.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So lovely, Juliet, and reminds me, too, to be thankful for all "those full pods" of my life. Beautifully rendered. Thank you.

Juliet said...

Yes indeed, and I see you as one of them too, Penny.

Anne Ruffell said...

I have really enjoyed your descriptions and pictures of the seed pods and the way the lushness of summer is fading into the subtle shades of autumn. I never cease to marvel at the intricacy of seed heads, every plant so different.

anissa ljanta said...

thank you for showering your wisdom on me juliet.Yesterday i was swimming between the flags in some quite rough west coast waves and a beautiful old woman came out with her walking stick to stand next to me. she commented on how confident my small son was in the surf and i laughed and told her what he said of her. "Mama, that granny is awesome, look she is so beautiful". Indeed she was. I told her so and that i hoped at her age i would be half as beautiful and inspiring. Now THAT is beauty.