Sunday, November 13, 2011

Other people's gardens

I'm so lucky to live in a neighbourhood of colourful gardens. I always walk to the shops, which gives me time to delight in the spring flowers, with their glorious colours. This line of yellow and red roses has been planted in front of a little white house, and it looks spectacular.
Further down the street, I pass a purple koromiko in full flower. It's a native plant that I've always loved. The new leaf tips are a good remedy for diarrohea, and Maori families used to send them off to the troops in the second world war, to combat desert dysentry.
A few steps further on, and an intoxicating sweet scent has me gazing upwards at these yellow flowers - mimosa perhaps?
And finally, before I reach the library, I pause in front of this exquisite rose.
Now that I live in an apartment, I don't have my own garden any more. And so I especially appreciate what others have created.
Thank you gardeners, for all your hard work, and the pleasure that you give to passersby.

5 comments:

Lynley said...

What a delightful selection of flowers you pass Juliet. We are fortunate to live in a land of gardeners.

I am admiring the Hebe Hulkeana that is flowering in a couple of gardens near my home. If my memory is correct it is the NZ Lilac.

Juliet said...

Thank you Lynley; yes it's true, we do live in a land of gardeners.

Anonymous said...

Such a delight to enjoy these fragrant beauties on your way to and fro, Juliet. That last rose, in particular, is magnificent. In spite of your injury earlier and the sadness that has come your way lately, I love the way you still find the beauty surrounding you. Thank you.

Hilary said...

Hi Juliet .. beautiful pics .. and I love the Koromiko .. just glorious - with an interesting history .. Wikipedia says it's a Hebe type .. but not much else there .. love it though - cheers Hilary

Juliet said...

Penny - thank you for your kind comments. Yes, that rose really caught my eye; it is so beautifully shaped. Hilary, here is more about koromiko from a Maori medicine site:

Rongoa / medicinal qualities: Young leaf tips are chewed for diarrhoea and dysentery. Used extensively in WWII for this purpose - dried leaves were sent to New Zealand soldiers overseas. Active ingredient is phenolic glycocide.
Koromiko leaves can treat ulcers, sores, headaches, kidney and bladder troubles; be used as a pack on babies for skin sores.