Sunday, February 12, 2012

The garden that grew by itself

 It's a dream come true. I sometimes think I should give up on my bach garden, at least over summer, because if I'm away too long the soil dries out and the plants die. But this year, with rain every week of the summer, my dear little plants have grown into vigorous big ones, and look at this! A little pumpkin is forming, under the leaves,
 and the tiny red lettuces that I tucked into the soil are waving their frilly leaves, saying 'eat me!' (I did). Down to the left, lots of little rocket plants have sprung up from the seed mix that I hopefully tossed into the earth on the day I left. And marigolds everywhere are flowering, supposedly keeping the bugs away.
 Parsley has popped up on the steps,
 and a sweet basil plant, which a friend planted when she was staying out there, is burgeoning.
 Zinnias are doing really well. I planted them for the first time, because their petals can be sprinkled through the salad greens, bringing brightness and good cheer.
And here it is - fresh carrots straight from the garden to the grater, lettuce, rocket, basil, thyme, marjoram, with only the capsicum not grown by me. Eating this salad was pure pleasure.
When I was teaching Environmental Studies back in the '80s, we had a slogan about how you can't rob nature: 'There's no such thing as a free lunch.' Well, today there was!
Thank you, summer rain.
P.S. I did have a lot of weeding to do, but I didn't mind at all.

10 comments:

Ruth G said...

It's wonderful when Mother Nature aids our gardening in this way.

Juliet said...

Hi Ruth, Mother Nature has excelled herself this year, as she did with your wildflowers.

Lynley said...

What a great feast Juliet and your colourful arrangement is very tempting.

Juliet said...

Yes, it tasted delicious Lynley. I do enjoy colourful food.

Hotly Spiced said...

It's so lovely to be able to grow your own herbs and vegetables. There's nothing better than picking from your own garden and turning what you collect into a meal. Great looking salad.

Hotly Spiced said...

It's so lovely to be able to grow your own herbs and vegetables. There's nothing better than picking from your own garden and turning what you collect into a meal. Great looking salad.

Juliet said...

Hi, thanks for visiting Hotly Spiced. Yes, picking straight from the garden and on to the plate, it's such a pleasure.

Anonymous said...

Nothing tastes better or is more satisfying than that which is grown in one's garden. Your salad looks so tasty and fresh, Juliet, and makes me long for the "salad days" of summer. I didn't know you could use zinnia petals on greens. I will try this sometime - and think of you when I do, I'm certain.

Happy Valentine's Day.

Marja said...

Nother tastier than fresh veggies from the garden. Yours has lots of treasures which colours that plate so nicely. We had some trouble with the lettuce It didn't like our new hothouse but we get plenty of tomatoes.

Juliet said...

Penny, nice to have you back! I learned about the zinnia petals from the salad mix I buy from the Health Food shop. They do give a nice zing.
Marja, pity about your lettuce but the tomatoes must be delicious to have.