Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Feasting on flowers

 I promised myself I would resist blogging this week. I need to focus, I said, on the task of processing the editorial changes for my new book. This is a complex stage of book production, and I wanted to make good progress on it.
But hidden among the leaves, great fragrance is wafting out.
 Total focus on the file, I told myself. But Nature had other plans. Alas, by p. 40 it was apparent that the file had become corrupted. The editor is on holiday and could not be contacted. And my computer was becoming sick and slow, a separate problem and just as serious.
Meanwhile, spring flowers are dripping down from the vines
 I knew what must be done, and left messages for my trusty Mac man. But alas, when I tried his cellphone, having received no answers, his sad wife answered to say that he died last week.  They have a young child. Andrei was kind, methodical, and always there to help me out from a tight computer spot.
He has been taken in the springtime of his life.
 There must be so many of us who will miss him.
We are weeping blue tears amidst the greening of spring.
 It's time to call it a day. Whatever my plans were of getting through masses of editing this week, clicking the tracking boxes off with glee and ending up with a sense of achievement, it is not to be.
The kowhai are dripping from the trees, full of sweet nectar
Tomorrow I will try Geeks on Wheels. They are more expensive and weren't able to finish the job last time they called. The corrupted file cannot be touched. I have to work around it, and do what I can on paper.
And a single rose blooms amongst the hips of last autumn. 
Andrei, this one is for you.
Rest in peace.

11 comments:

Hotly Spiced said...

That is so tragic. I'm so sorry to hear that news. How devastating for his wife and their child. I love the wisteria - so pretty. Good luck getting your editing done and having your computer fixed - two tricky issues! xx

Lynley said...

I hope you gained some ease of mind amongst the flowers and their beauty Juliet.

Thinking of you and Andrei and his young family.

Juliet said...

Charlie, it is terribly sad. He was only 47. The wistaria is soothing and sweet.

Lynley, the flowers do bring ease; it was nice to focus on them.

Thank you Charlie and Lynley.

Vicki Lane said...

Such a poignant post... in the midst of life, we are in death ... a reminder to all of us to cherish each spring (or autumn)as if it were our last...

Juliet said...

Vicki, thank you for this response. It's so important, as you say, that we remain open to life at every moment.

Anne Ruffell said...

Sadness and beauty often go side by side. I have loved seeing the pictures of your springtime with everything bursting into flower the last three posts. It contrasts greatly with the autumn here just beginning to show its colours but looking very dark and damp on this cold rainy day.

Juliet said...

Thank you Anne; I'm glad you are enjoying these glimpses of spring as your season fades.

lifeonthecutoff said...

How very tragic, Juliet. My thoughts and prayers will be for Andrei's family, so young, and for you as you also cope with such sudden news. As you always do, you have captured the essence of Andrei's passing with such words and photos. Penny

Juliet said...

Penny, it is very sad. It's amazing how many lives one person touches. Thank you for your sympathies.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet - before I get to the main and most important aspect of your post - the wisteria is stunning - but what is the white one? Love your photos ....

Oh oh dear - poor poor family - I do feel for them, what tragedy strikes so unexpectedly ... my heart goes out particularly for his wife and young son, while that shock assails you too ..

Look after yourself ... Hilary

Juliet said...

Hilary, the white one is also a wisteria. Thanks for visiting.