Friday, August 23, 2013

Seeking simplicity

 I'm on retreat. Life became too complex and I became winter-weary. Then a virus hit me hard and I've been slow to recover.
It's been a rich time since publishing my new book Spirited Ageing, setting up a new website (click here to take a look), and receiving wonderful feedback from readers. I've been packaging up parcels to put in the mail, sending out review copies, doing interviews and preparing to be on TV.
 With the website book page up and running, I am now sending copies overseas, which is just what I dreamed would happen.
But this has left little time to sit and watch the clouds,
 or cast off my shoes and walk bare-foot on the sand,
or to be still in the presence of nature's magnificence.
 And so I've given myself a birthday treat: a re-treat.  Here I'm finding simplicity.
All I have to do is relax, sleep, walk by the sea, and eat the delicious meals that arrive on a tray at my door.
And create little altars on the wide sills, then sit and absorb the beauty. At first I just slept, and let myself empty out. A little bit of life is returning, but I'm still taking it easy. Sending this post to you is the big event of the day. Time to rest some more now. May you all find the retreat times that you need, when you need them.

12 comments:

Anne Else said...

I hope you emerge refreshed and reinvigorated, Juliet.

Penny O'Neill said...

As soon as I saw the first picture, I knew I was in for a quiet spell. I wasn't disappointed. Each one is a postcard from abroad, filled with serenity.

How uplifting your words and pictures are to me as I start my day here. Though I cannot physically go to a far off place right now, your photos of restive calm and honor take me to a centered spot for the present. Thank you, Juliet.

Anne Ruffell said...

What a beautiful view from your room at the retreat. I can just imagine how reinvigorating you will find this lovely place to be quiet and reflective and to be looked after so well. The leaves and the branches outside the window seem to pick up the shapes of the card! How I would love to walk bare foot on that beautiful black sand.

Hotly Spiced said...

It sounds like you deserve a well-earned break. Congrats on getting your book finished and for getting the website up and running - such a lot of work! I hope you enjoy the rest of your time at your re-treat xx

Juliet said...

* Anne, thank you. I'm feeling refreshed & that's a good start.
* Penny, I'm so glad that some of the peace has winged its way across the world to you.
* Anne, as you see, your beautiful card has come with me. As I've been walking on the beach each day, I've had the same thought: what a pleasure it would be to be walking with you.
* Charlie, Thank you, the break has indeed been well-earned!

Thank you Anne, Penny, Anne and Charlie, nice to see you here.

Vicki Lane said...

Such beautiful pictures -- what a wonderful way to recharge the creative batteries!

Juliet said...

Thanks Vicki; I'm so lucky to have this place within easy reach.

Lynley said...

The care offered here looks wonderful Juliet with so many aspects of nurturing considered. It is good to learn that you are regaining some strength.

Juliet said...

Hi Lynley, yes I feel very grateful for all the care, and for the vision of the women who set up this beautiful retreat centre. Thank you, I am beginning to feel better now.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Juliet .. love the lanterns from your previous post ... and am so pleased you've decided to have a birthday recuperative retreat - sounds just what you need .. it's wonderful to read about ..

Have a peaceful time as winter ebbs and that virus really clears away .. Hilary

Ruth P said...

So sorry to hear you had got run down Juliet! Am glad you could make this choice to recharge. It looks as if your selections (and experiences) are giving you what is needed.
Wishing you well
Ruth

Juliet said...

* Hilary, I'm glad you enjoyed the lanterns. They were great fun to make. I like the thought of winter 'ebbing'. Thank you.
* Ruth, how good to see you here again. The retreat has given me exactly what I needed; thank you.